Thursday, 14 May 2015
Tips for ensuring your homes safety
(NC) Homeowners have a lot to consider when thinking about their homes safety. Electrical safety is an important aspect of homes structure that homeowners need to keep top of mind. May is Electrical Safety Month and Hydro One wants to encourage homeowners to make electrical safety inside their homes part of their routine home checklist.
Just because electrical wires are not exposed in your home doesn't mean electrical safety should be forgotten. Here is a list of things to check off your list this spring:
• Keep electrical cords away from heat and water as they can both damage the insulation and create a shock hazard.
• When you're changing a light bulb, be sure to turn off the switch or circuit.
• Put safety caps on any unused electrical outlets, especially if there are young children in the house.
• Inspect cords and plugs. Make this part of your routine prior to using a tool or an appliance. Replace electrical cords that have cut, broken or cracked insulation and remember to pull the plug, not the cord to extend the life of the cord itself.
• Avoid octopus outlets! Clusters of wires and plugs can be a fire hazard along with using extension cords as permanent wiring. These products were never meant to be used that way so consider up-dating the wiring in your home.
• If you're in the market for a new home this spring, an electrical inspection should be high on your list prior to signing on the dotted line. Not only do you want to ensure that the home is safe but you also want to know upfront if up-dates to the home's wiring are required to bring it up to code.
Customers can get more information on the programs mentioned above along with additional energy savings tips by visiting www.hydroone.com/MyHome/StaySafe/Pages/StayingSafe.aspx.
at May 14, 2015
www.realtorpankajpatel.com Around the house – fall clean-up tips (NC) As the cooler weather hits and the garden growing season end...
Winter inspection: How to prepare your home for the cold https://www.realtorpankajpatel.com/ (NC) It seems like every year the col...
SAGE KINGSTON Student housing proves to be a lucrative niche for investors SHIRLEY WON SPECIAL TO THE GLOBE AND MAI...
5 savvy renovations to make your kitchen look like new (NC) The kitchen is the heart and focal point of any home. But if yours is ...